I remember the first time I had a lemon drizzle cake, I was only few weeks in London and I was meeting my friend for a coffee. After browsing around our local area we went to this small coffee shop in corner of the street. “You need to try lemon drizzle cake – Its out of this world!” – she said. She was right! that day I fell in love with this heavy and moist lemony sponge, drizzled with sweet, lemon syrup on the top.
Since then I tried many different versions of that same cake ( Vegan, with olive oil, gluten-free etc.) you name it, I had it. So its not a surprise that I searched through hundreds of recipes to find the one that my family loves the most, and this is the version I would like to share with you. It take 20 min. to make and from 45-50 min. to bake. Its easy and it tastes delicious.
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 190g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- finally grated zest of one lemon
- 225g self-raising flour
For the drizzle topping:
- 80g caster sugar
- juice of 1 and half lemons
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas4.
- Beat together butter and sugar until beautifully pale and creamy!
- Next add eggs, one by the time, slowly mixing.
- At the end slowly sift the flour and when your mixture is ready add grated lemon zest.
- All of that smooth mixture goes into a loaf tin (8 x 21 cm approx.) Tip: before you put your mixture into a tin, make sure you first butter it and line it with baking paper, so its easier to take it out when its baked.
- Then straight into the oven for 45-50 min.
- Prick the warn cake all over with a skewer, then pour over the drizzle. The sparkling, frosty, sugary syrup will sink into the cake after it will crisp up on the top of your creation.
There we go!! your afternoon tea cake ready, nothing better for your family time or girls catch up over a coffee.
PS. Looking forward to see pictures of your lemon cake 😉